Between her debut album and catching her American tour, Alex Lahey reinvigorated my love of music late in 2017. Her album stands out as my favorite for that reason and for the sheer quality that comes through after a series of awesome singles. I Love You Like a Brother is a debut that serves as a great introduction to a rising indie rocker. I have no doubt that we will see her popularity rise in 2018.
Other albums that I kept in mind through out the year as potential favorites were American Teen by Khalid, Melodrama by Lorde, and Go Farther in Lightness by Gang of Youths. Each was a favorite at some point of the year.
I Love You Like a Brother ultimately joins past favorite albums of the year including:
- Painting of a Panic Attack by Frightened Rabbit (2016)
- The Positions by Gang of Youths (2015)
- Islands by Bear’s Den (2014)
- White Lighter by Typhoon (2013)
- Lonesome Dreams by Lord Huron (2012)
- The Year of Hibernation by Youth Lagoon (2011)
- Passive Me, Aggressive You by The Naked and Famous (2010)