The cathartic screams at the end of Phoebe Bridger’s I Know The End are the single musical contribution of this year that I immediately associate with this year. All other albums and songs could be from this year or another time in my mind.
Without revealing too much, I tend to silently process things and keep my thoughts to myself, but those screams…they are my vicarious reaction to this year. I don’t want to dwell on the trials, tribulations, losses, difficulties, and all that made 2020 an all-round terrible year. I don’t want to put a positive spin on 2020 for all the things that I have to be thankful for. I just want to let it go with a scream and start 2021 with a new beginning.
This is one of, if not the first, times that I am choosing an album that wasn’t my most listened to for my favorite album of the year. I normally choose my most listened-to album because I think my actions across the year signal what my favorite was. In a typical year, that would have meant Glass Animals’ Dreamland. This year with so much and so little, I don’t think what I would normally do really signals that accurately. This year was one for Punisher.
The album had a number of favorite songs this year with a few standouts for me including Kyoto, Chinese Satellite, and especially Graceland Too with its boygenius backing. On a somewhat related note, Bug Eyes from Mt. Joy ended up as my most listened-to song for 2020.
The track listing for Punisher is:
- “DVD Menu”
- “Garden Song”
- “Chinese Satellite”
- “Moon Song”
- “Savior Complex”
- “Graceland Too”
- “I Know The End”
My past albums of the year include:
- Heard it in a Past Life by Maggie Rogers (2019)
- Mt. Joy by Mt. Joy (2018)
- I Love You Like a Brother by Alex Lahey (2017)
- Painting of a Panic Attack by Frightened Rabbit (2016)
- The Positions by Gang of Youths (2015)
- Islands by Bear’s Den (2014)
- White Lighter by Typhoon (2013)
- Lonesome Dreams by Lord Huron (2012)
- The Year of Hibernation by Youth Lagoon (2011)
- Passive Me, Aggressive You by The Naked and Famous (2010)